Sunday, July 29, 2012

Adventures in Potty Training

Motivational potty chart.  Use the pot, earn a sticker, and eventually getchaself a book.  Also a pretty accurate pictorialization of the contents of the toddler's thoughts. "Rainbows! Firetrucks! Melting toilets! Chaos! Bleeaarrgh!!!" 

I did not think that Edie would be difficult to potty train.  Who, after all, wants to think, "hey, my kid isn't going to be all hoity toity about sitting in her own waste.  She's totally going to be cool about it."  I, for one, thought she'd want to do it because it was grown up and clean and because it made me wildly happy.  Turns out convenience is king, and seeing me slap myself on the forehead is more entertaining than a hug.

And then came Eli, and Edie's butt grew three sizes that day.  I was told that my first would look huge when the second came.  No one was specific about her butt, but it definitely made an impression on me.  Plus, a kid who potty trains her stuffed animals, recites the potty trained mantra ("If you only poop and pee in da potty, you wear unda-wear!! Yayy!!" *pees self*]), and who can take her own diaper off at will is more than ready for full on potty independence.  I have been trying to make it happen naturally for months, but it was time for a nudge.

So, my dearest Edie is in underwear. And sometimes she doesn't soil them for hours at a time.  That's... something!  She likes the stickers and loves the books.  I'm just crossing my fingers that she gets the hang of this before we need to sell off our worldly possessions to finance this reward system.

1 comment:

  1. ...or at least before she is sixteen and at the end of the sticker chart is a new sport car. Love the chart.

    ReplyDelete