Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Calgon, take me away! (And then fold my laundry.)



Baby boy is almost ten weeks old and I can count the number of times I’ve had more than three consecutive hours of sleep on one hand.  In fact, I could slam my hand in a car door and probably still manage to count this out.  He’s not a bad sleeper, whatever that means anyways.  It’s a digestion thing for him, I think.  But his innocence does not revive these weary bones and spasm-ing lower back.

The relentlessness of these tiny baby days is at times overwhelming.  There is no point at which you punch-out.  And when you’ve got a – let’s say – untalented night sleeper, you don’t even have some semblance of reprieve.  It is just constant yet unpredictable life-sustaining dirty work, and totally mine to handle.  This is not to say I don’t have a great partner who saves the day by letting me sleep through breakfast on the weekends.  Because I do.  And I am so grateful.  But he works.  And refuses to lactate.  By and large, the baby and kid work to be done needs by me.

I have come to realize that I must never be trusted with any state secrets, because sleep deprivation is something I do not cope well and it could be used against me quite effectively.  At three a.m., slumped over a changing table and fumbling for a baby wipe, there is nothing I would not give up or cop too.   Crop circles?  Yeah, that was me.  No one wants to hear my secrets, though.  Because I am whiny, oft times incoherent, and utterly monothematic: them kids! Them kids! Them kids!  I bore myself.  But I’m too tired to feel much one way or another about it.

My brain has been breaking all over town.  A couple weeks ago, I took both of the kids to the downtown farmers market to meet friends for lunch.  As we somehow tumbled out of the car and into the indoor food court, I passed by loads of gorgeous fruit and vegetables.  I looked on a mountain of cantaloupe and thought, I want some of that.  I must get some after this lunch that I am already late for so forgetthecantaloupeandlet’sgo.  When I went to get my melon forty odd minutes later, I stepped out into a wasteland.  Empty concrete slabs.  Large market sheds shading no one at all.  Ohmygod.  I hallucinated a farmers market.  I was very close to turning and running, but given the baby strapped to my chest and my war-torn pelvic floor, I was smart enough not to do that.  Heart pounding, I saw a security guard and as one grasp onto reality – and not a living episode of Scooby Doo – I asked meekly, was there a farmers market today?  Yeah, he said.  On the other side.  These are the flea market sheds.  WELL MAYBE THEY SHOULD LOOK DIFFERENT SO PEOPLE DON’T HAVE PANIC ATTACKS, I didn’t say.  Days later, I open the door to beckon my dogs: Billy and Sugar.  And a cracking voice spews out “Bigger! Shirley! Get in here!”  Um, Bigger and Shirley?  Oh dear. 

Yesterday was a low point.  I ran my fingers through my hair before washing my hands and caught a glimpse of redness on my scalp.  Upon closer inspection, yep, I appeared to some kind of leper.  For some reason, ringworm popped into my head. Which is not – as a matter of fact – a worm, but instead a fungus.  Only a smidge less awful than it sounds.  Now, I’ve never had ringworm or known anyone with ringworm.  I have no idea where this thought came from, other than perhaps in past lives, I’ve also been a mom and this information has just been imprinted on me.  (And so was my law degree just a futile attempt to evade my jammy-handed destiny??) But you get it from damp places and dirty kids.  I raise a toddler in Tennessee.  Check, check.  Then the internet told me that ringworm can result in bald spots.  Well I made an appointment for the next day with the acute care clinic.  My body image has taken enough hits in the past few months.  Bald spots?? Enough’s enough, fungi. 

Today was the appointment, and Eli had to accompany me given the uncertain time frame.  It all started out well enough, with both me and Eli crying wildly while stuck in parking structure gridlock because he is frightened during car rides and because my sanity is so viscerally linked to his well-being that when unable to soothe his cries I fall apart.  Then I get in to see doctor young resident.  She asks me when these symptoms appeared.  I truly have no earthly idea.  A fortnight?, I offer, trying to deflect.  Heh. Heh. Eeehhh.  I get one of those “could be one of a few things” diagnoses and instructions to slather cream on my head twice a day.  (My poor husband. It’s like I’m a real live super model, isn’t it honey??)  But no one suggests that I will go bald over this.  So I’ll take it.

Today both children have napped like champs.  The kitchen has been cleaned and my ancient computer has decided to recognize the charger and turn on for once.  Also I’ve decided to order a pizza for dinner.  And I am left, with my glorious, full, and only maybe fungus-y head of hair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment